Friday, February 1, 2008

In My Quest To Become Green I'm Approaching Olive Drab

Not everybody's doing it but everybody should be. The state of our planet is in turmoil and we are the only ones around to do anything about it. We cannot take back every plastic bag we've used or every tree we've cut down. We cannot put back the water that we have let run on and on while we were washing our dishes or brushing our teeth. Nor can we replace the fuel we burned unnecessarily or air we tainted with chemicals from our hairspray. But, we can make changes now in how we live that will improve tomorrow. They call it being green.

I'm no different than you. I hear the simple steps that I can take and I want to join the movement. I take my own canvas bags to the grocery store instead of bringing home countless plastic bags that I'd no doubt add to my collection because I'm terrified to throw them away. I use both sides of the paper when I make grocery lists, to do lists and weekly menus for my family. I recycle my wine bottles, beer cans and #1 and #2 plastics from bottles of mixers. So, I'm approaching green but it's not a pretty green. The two cars we drive do not use flex fuel. I've not changed my light bulbs because, frankly, I think the "good" ones are ugly and most of my lamps would have them show. And I don't read labels for environmentally-friendly ingredients. Why? Because I don't know what to look for.

So, I have a lot of work to do before I can feel good about my part in this movement. For now, I am merely two-stepping to Soulja Boy. Which is about as attractive as the color Olive Drab.

No comments: