Friday, July 17, 2009

Out of My Comfort Zone

Today I did something that years ago, I could have never imagined myself doing. I went Paddleboarding. Two years ago, I watched from the shore in Hawaii as guys stood on these really large surfboards and paddled their way through the ocean. It looked like tons of fun...not to mention quite a workout. Today I found out it is indeed both. But, I must confess, I've never done water sports before. I don't even really swim in the ocean, but rather wade in the surf.

So, I stepped out of my comfort zone and joined two friends on Sullivan's Island this morning. I worked myself silly battling the tide and the wind but it sure was fun. The biggest thrill of all was realizing I was actually capable of getting from my knees to a standing position without falling. In fact, I never even got wet. The breeze kept me cool and the water only carrassed my feet. The sun shone upon me as if saying, "Enjoy the beauty of this day and the land where you live." I did and I cannot wait to do it again. I'd really like to get my boys out there. For us to become a family that truly enjoys everything the Lowcountry has to offer is a dream of mine. This is only one step but a step in the right direction.

Stepping out of our comfort zones is both important and meaningful. Important to keep us growing. Meaningful because, when we realize we did grow or simply accomplish something, there is no better feeling. Except the feeling of the sun and surf calling me back...

No comments: